PACE - Linux 102¶
What: Building upon the content of PACE – Linux 101, this monthly class is designed to extend the command-line capabilities of PACE users so that they can more efficiently address computational research in a Linux environment. After taking this class, users will be able to demonstrate their ability to utilize regular expressions for stream manipulation with tools like sed and awk, compile code from source with version control and build utilities such as git and make, implement advanced I/O manipulation for in-situ processing, and integrate advanced compression with system tools for better data management. This is a hands-on class that will provide the users to follow the instructor through in-class examples, work through a template research-driven exercise, and ask questions as they arise.
Presentation topics covered include:
- An overview of regular expressions, and how to use them in sed, awk, and grep for stream manipulation
- Using utilities such as head, tail, sort, and uniq to do basic data analysis
- Advanced filesystem concepts such as named pipes, links, and process subsitution
- Software installation using version control and build automation utilities (Git, make, CMake)
- Advanced compression and archiving with command line utilities
Download the course content here: Hands-on
This course is recommended for anyone looking to extend their knowledge of command-line capabilities in a Linux environment, especially if you are a PACE user.
Format: Virtual workshop hosted via BlueJeans.
This course is taught on PACE-ICE, PACE's Instructional Cluster Environment.
Please contact PACE support (email@example.com) if you have any questions or concerns.
We are hoping to see you there!
Upcoming Course Offerings¶
Fall 2022 Schedule
- Wednesday, September 28, 2022 from 1:00-2:45 PM
- Friday, October 28, 2022 from 1:30-3:15 PM
- Wednesday, December 7, 2022 from 1:30-2:45 PM
Some sessions may be canceled if the attendance is insufficient. If that happens, registered users will be moved automatically to the next session to guarantee a seat (and will be notified via email).