Using PACE Archive Storage¶
Why use Archive Storage?¶
- Archive Storage is designed for LONG TERM storage of data for Georgia Tech users, for example multiple years of retention of records as outlined in USG Records Retentions Schedules).
- Billing for usage of Archive storage is at $3.33 per Terabyte per month for GT faculty, roughly half the price of active project storage on Phoenix. See our participation page for details.
Access to Archive Storage is through Globus ONLY. It is not accessible from storage mounts from any of our login or interactive nodes in PACE
Step 1: Requesting access to Archive Storage¶
- Researchers, whether current PACE users or not, wishing to purchase Archive Storage should make requests to pace-support.
- After your request is reviewed and granted, you will be able to access your Archive Storage allocation at our Globus Endpoint PACE Phoenix. Visit our PACE Globus documentation for steps to access Globus.
Step 2: Set Endpoints for doing a transfer¶
- Log in, and you will be taken to the main file manager screen. Choose Georgia Institute of Technology and your typical gatech login and password. You may be presented with the DUO Dual Factor authentication to login if you have not done so already.
- After a successful login, you will be presented with the File Manager view.
Select PACE Phoenix as the first end point.
You will be presented with the listing of your home directory.
- Search in your home directory for the "archive" symbolic link. This link will work only from within Globus, not from the Phoenix login nodes.
- We can actually use the same PACE Phoenix Endpoint also in the other collection field, to transfer to/from Phoenix storage such as project or scratch storage. You may also choose to use an endpoint you set up in Globus Connect Personal or some other Globus Endpoint of your choosing, such as PACE Hive or another computing center's endpoint.
Step 3: Transfer files or folders¶
- We select a file or folder we want to transfer and initiate a transfer.
- We can verify the status of a transfer from Activity link on the left.
- We can verify the listing of the transferred folder or file by hitting refresh in the File Manager window.