Using PACE Archive Storage¶
Why use Archive Storage?¶
- Archive Storage is designed for LONG TERM storage of data for Georgia Tech users, for example multiple years of retention of records as outlined in USG Records Retentions Schedules).
- The back end for Archvie Storage is Object Storage via Swift. It is scalable to larger capacity without considerable difficulty.
- Billing for usage of Archive storage is at $40 per Terabyte per year, which is competitive compared to other cloud storage solutions.
- (NOTE:Access to Archive Storage is through Globus ONLY. It is not accessible from storage mounts from any of our login or interactive nodes in PACE)
Step 1: Requesting access to Archive Storage¶
- Refer to general PACE globus documentation at http://docs.pace.gatech.edu/storage/globus.
- Users that want to secure access to Archive Storage should make requests to pace-support, including existing PACE users.
- After your request is reviewed and granted, a new account will be created, or if you are an existing PACE user, an account modification will be made, to allow you to access the Archive Storage at our Globus Endpoint PACE Internal (if you are still using PACE in Rich) or PACE Phoenix (if you have been migrated to Phoenix, or if you joined PACE after October 2020).
- After you receive notification that your account is created or configured, go to https://www.globus.org/ and click Log In . Search for and select "Georgia Institute of Technology", you will then be taken to the Gatech login page. After logging in with your GT credentials, you will be redirected to the main file transfer screen.
Step 2: Set Endpoints for doing a transfer¶
- Log in, and you will be taken to the main file manager screen. Choose Georgia Institute of Technology and your typical gatech login and password. You may be presented with the DUO Dual Factor authentication to login if you have not done so already.
- After a successful login, you will be presented with the File Manager view.
- Select PACE Internal (if you are still using PACE in Rich) or PACE Phoenix (if you have been migrated to Phoenix, or if you joined PACE after October 2020) as the first end point.
- You will be asked to login through a MyProxy service.
- You will be presented with the listing of your home directory.
- Search in your home directory for the archive symbolic link.
- We can actually use the SAME PACE Internal or PACE Phoenix Endpoint ALSO in the other collection field, and access storage such as project or scratch storage. You may also choose to use an endpoint you set up in Globus Connect Personal or some other Globus Endpoint of your choosing.
* In this example, we search for this user's project storage under the data symbolic link.
Step 3: Transfer files or folders¶
- We select a file or folder we want to transfer and initiate a transfer.
- We can verify the status of a transfer from Activity link on the left.
- We can verify the listing of the transferred folder or file by hitting refresh in the File Manager window.